Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Poisonous Mushrooms and Your Dog

The recent rains have produced a large crop of mushrooms in my yard. Naturally, I worry about  the dogs, cats and horses eating them, but I don't know which are bad. The best thing to do is to pluck them up before the critters find them.

I have kicked them and smashed them, but all that does is spread the spores, and they come back up over night.  On acreage, it's difficult to pick up all the mushrooms, and they come up fast, so it's also important to know the signs of poisoning.

Symptoms of poisoning include salivating, head shaking, tremors,vomiting, diarrhea, cramping, lethargy, and difficulty walking, to name a few.  These symptoms can exhibit within a few minutes or up to several hours after ingesting.

If you catch your dog eating mushrooms, remove the pieces and induce vomiting. If you can't do this, or have delicate sensibilities, get thee to the vet. Immediately. If you have a specimen of the mushroom, take that with you.

 Check your yard each morning, especially during the rainy, damp season. They grow quickly and can shoot up overnight, so scoop them up and throw them away.

And remember, it can be nearly impossible to tell the poisonous varieties from the edible.
This link shares some great mushroom information.

No comments:

Post a Comment